- Begin with freshly cut and/or filed nails, trimmed to your desired length and shape. Buff the surface of the nails with a nail buffer (you can easily find these at most beauty supply stores), to give your polish a rougher surface to grab on to.
- It is essential that you use a bit of soap and warm water on an old toothbrush to scrub the edges of your nails and clean any bits of dead skin and nail filings.
- Next, using an orange stick, push back your cuticles. If necessary, trim them (but please be careful: we don't want any bloodshed here!). You'll never have a professional-looking manicure with ragged cuticles and dry flaking skin around your nails.
- Dry off your nails and take a bit of nail polish remover on a cotton pad and swipe it across your nails to make sure they are completely free of any oil or residue - this helps your nail polish go on smoother and better.
- First, apply a thin layer of the base coat on all your nails. For the perfect nail polish application all you need to remember is: thin, even coats, working your way from the base of your nails to the tip.
- After allowing the base coat to dry for a minute, apply the first coat of your nail polish, and allow this to dry for at least two minutes. It may take up to five minutes if your polish is older and a little more gloopy. It's essential that you allow enough drying time between coats so that there's no trapped air or moisture, which can cause your polish to get a 'bubbled' appearance. Nobody wants THAT after so much hard work!
- Apply the second coat and this time around allow it to dry completely. I recommend a minimum of ten minutes. Watch a YouTube video or something!
- Finally, finish with a thin layer of your favorite top coat and once again, please, oh please, allow sufficient drying time! I know you went through all these steps patiently; please don't give up on this last step and decide this is the moment you need to unbutton your jeans or wash your dishes. Give those fingers a rest!
- Voila! You're done! You should be left with a sparkling manicure that you can proudly show off!
I really hope you guys enjoyed this 'spring-tastic' manicure and will give it a shot! Let me know in the comments below what your favorite trends are this season and what your most reached-for nail polishes are for this spring/summer! I'd love to hear you guys' recommendations! Also, do let me know if you guys would like a step-by-step manicure guide. I'd absolutely be willing to bring that to you if I get enough interest.
Take care, loves!